Where will the Defenders shows go now that they have left Netflix?

Scarlett ValenciaStaff Writer

Marvel TV Series have officially left Netflix. The company partnered with the comic giant back in 2012 and produced six fan-favorite shows, including Jessica Jones, The Punisher, and Iron Fist. These action shows had been on the platform ever since their release. However, many fans here in Florida were surprised when signs that said, “This show is available until February 28th,” began to appear under each of the Marvel titles at the beginning of January. 

It turns out that even though Netflix premiered these action series, it had a licensing agreement, like it usually does, to hold the Marvel content until the contract expired.

Hundreds of Tiktok users shared on their accounts how they prepared to binge-watch Marvel series such as Daredevil, Luke Cage and The Defenders before they were removed.

But now that these shows have said goodbye to the world’s most-streamed service, where will they go? 

Many people believed that these series will move to a Disney-owned platform, since they are the owners of Marvel comics, and their speculation was not wrong. 

It has been confirmed that Disney + will be the new holders of these six Infinity Stones, so to speak.

It really is no surprise that the Walt Disney Company will be obtaining these Marvel shows. 

Almost all of Marvel’s content is already on Disney +. They currently have almost all of Marvel’s content and have acclaimed original series like Wanda Vision that can only be viewed on the Disney streaming service. 

But that is not the only platform that Disney could have decided to give these six series to if they wanted to have them close. 

SyFy Wire has reported that Disney actually owns the majority of Hulu, which already has other Marvel programs such as Runaways and MODOK.

Some people speculated that the mature content that appears throughout some of these new additions would stop the company from incorporating them into Disney +. And it is understandable since Disney has always had a strong focus on releasing family-friendly material for its audience. 

But the Parent Television Council (PTC) expressed their discontent with having these programs on the platform. PTC’s President, Tim Winter, published a statement in which he emphasized that Disney +“foray into TV-MA-rated fare will forever tarnish its family friendly crown.” A crown that they have been wearing for decades before Disney + even existed.

Rather than eliminating scenes presenting gore and violence or not having these shows on the platform, the platform will be updating the adjustments available in parental controls. 

This means that parents will be able to limit the shows that their children will be able to watch. 

Doing this is better than losing potential new users that would like to see the unedited episodes. 

Besides, these series present more violence than the other Marvel material currently on Disney +, so modifying it could change how the audiences experience the storylines.

Now parents, especially those who are Marvel fans, can view Daredevil and be as happy as their kids when they watch Mickey Mouse Club House.

These six Defenders-related shows will be joining Disney + on March 16, 2022. 

In addition, the platform has said that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Marvel series produced alongside ABC studios, will also be added that same day.

Image courtesy of IMDB

vales63@mail.broward.edu