Oui Oui! Nicoise Salad à la carte
Edition One: Nicoise Salad
Summer and the beginning of Fall in South Florida is considered to be one of the hottest places on Earth, and I don’t mean because of the temperature, it’s really all about the humidity. It feels like you are walking straight into a scolding soup.
During these months, I have a really hard time finding certain foods that appetize me and don’t make me swell or irritated – fresh, easy and delicious salads are what I find the most appeasing to make. Savory salads make your mouth water and stomach growl.
The first edition is dedicated to Nicoise Salad. Originating from Nice in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region, this mixed salad has definitely made the Mediterranean traditional gastronomy transcend borders. The traditional recipe uses either anchovies or tunas as protein, Nicoise olives and basil dressing; this Provençal dish is very versatile nonetheless.
Let’s get to it!
• 4 red potatoes
• ½ small yellow onion
• ¼ cup Nicoise olives or black olives
• Cheese for grilling or Haloumi
• ¼ cup of marinated mushrooms
• 4oz smoked salmon
• 2 tbsp. capers
• 5 springs of parsley
• 1 tomato
• 2 slices of bread
• Roasted or raw yellow peppers
• 1/2 cup of Olive Oil
• 10 springs of Basil
• Salt to taste
• 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
• 2 garlic
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 450F.
2. Boil Potatoes until you pierce a knife into them, and it easily penetrates them. Remove from water, cut each potato into 3 pieces. Add into a baking sheet, sprinkle salt, and bake for 15 minutes.
3. In the last 5-8 minutes of the potatoes being finished, add two slices of bread to the oven. Remove once the skin looks toasted. Add some olive oil for taste.
4. Make the dressing – Chop the basil and garlic into small pieces. Get a Mortar and Pestle; add garlic, basil, salt, mustard and about 1tbps. of olive oil. Crush and combine all ingredients, almost to turn into a paste. Add the rest of the olive oil, mix and let it sit.
5. Heat a Pan, add grilling cheese. Let the cheese melt and create a crust (5 min) and flip to melt the other side.
6. Slice tomatoes and Onion into thin slices.
7. Assemble marinated mushrooms, yellow peppers, Nicoise olives, tomato, cooled potatoes, smoked salmon on the plate.
8. Top the dish with capers, sliced onions, fresh parsley and add dressing on top of everything.